Storm Safety Reminders from The Van Dyk Group
Last Updated on 08 December 2015
Storm Safety Reminders
Hurricane Watch: issued when hurricane conditions are a real possibility for an area.
Hurricane Warning: issued when a hurricane is expected within 24 hours. START GETTING READY!
Act Now to be Prepared
- Develop a family plan for survival and property protection.
- If your home is in a potential flood or storm surge zone, be prepared to evacuate when officials recommend.
- Plan what you will do with your pet.
- Inventory personal property; safely secure all records and valuable documents in a watertight place.
- Have materials available to protect your doors and windows.
- Have emergency cash or traveler’s checks saved.
- Put together a family hurricane evacuation kit.
- Listen for weather updates and stay informed.
- Keep a portable radio and flashlight on hand – with fresh batteries.
- Re-check all emergency supplies and equipment.
- Clear your yard of all loose objects.
- Double check your shed and contents are secure.
- Store drinking water in clean containers.
- Shutter, board or tape all windows.
- Plan a flood-free evacuation route, and know where to go.
- If ordered to evacuate – comply immediately!
Keep a Hurricane Evacuation Kit ready to go once a warning is issued. Include battery-operated radio and flashlight, plus the following:
- First aid kit.
- Two-week supply of medicine.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- Extra clothing, infant necessities.
- Personal items including books and toys.
- Important papers (valid ID).
- Checkbook, cash, credit card, ATM cards.
- Insurance information
After the Storm
- Do not enter evacuated areas until local officials have issued an all clear.
- Stay away from disaster areas. Do not sightsee!
- Obey all curfews and emergency orders that are issued.
- If you must drive, use caution. Be aware of road and bridge washouts, and storm debris on roadways.
- Avoid all downed power lines. Assume that all have live electricity.
- Once the storm has safely passes: Inspect for Damage. When inspecting your property for damage, be careful to avoid injury.
To check if you are properly insured for a hurricane or for more information call your local Van Dyk Group office